1822

William Becknell travels entire route of what would become SF trail

 

 

 

 

 

1825

Survey of SF Trail completed through present day Burlingame by George Sibley

 

 

 

 

1

1826

John Switzler builds toll crossing over "Bridge Creek" at a cost of $200 (paid by Shibley)**

 

 

 

 

 

 

  …name changed from "Bridge Creek" to "Switzler Creek"

 

 

 

 

 

1827

Santa Fe trail opens for travel

 

 

 

 

 

30 May 1854

Kansas Territoy opens for Settlement

 

 

 

 

2

Jun 1854

John Freel arrives/claims 160 acres and buys cabin from a Shawnee Indian (site of ATSF depot)

 

 

 

 

 

 

  …later James Stewart, Joe Ramsey, Nic Schuyler and MC Rose occupied the old Freel cabin

 

 

 

 

3

Nov 1854

Eureka townsite (3 mi square) was marked off (town center was right along W side of tracks, about ¼ mile north of train bridge)

 

 

 

 

 

14 Nov 1854

Absolem Hoover arrives

 

 

 

 

4

1855

Isaac B Titus arrives and buys a Shawnee Indian cabin (site of Linkenauger stone house)

 

 

 

 

 

1855

Samuel Caniff buys Freel's 160 acre claim - set up steam saw mill

 

 

 

 

4

29 Mar 1855

First election was  held in Isaac Titus' cabin

 

 

 

 

5

30 Mar 1855

Albert Streit (1st child born)  in cabin owned by Widow Phebe Payne.  She leased it to the Ithiel Streit then sold to Abel Polley

 

 

 

 

 

…the Abel Polley Spring is located in current-day Jones park in a small ravine near the concrete well structure

 

 

 

 

 

18 Apr 1855

John Hoover (2nd boy born)

 

 

 

 

 

30 Apr 1855

Council City established (Eureka sight abandoned due to lack of good water source)

 

 

 

 

 

29 Jun 1855

Emma Bratton (1st girl born)

 

 

 

 

 

1855

Organized as Weller Counter

 

 

 

 

6

1855

Council City established on west of Switzler Creek with “town center” at intersection of current-day SF/Kansas

 

 

 

 

7

1855

Phillip Schuyler arrives and moves "town central" further west and along current day SF avenue

 

 

 

 

 

1856

Council City town site abandoned (and officially unincorporated on 30 Jan 1858)

 

 

 

 

8

1857

School built, Levi Empi stone bldg on SF

 

 

 

 

8

1857

Henry Smith stone bldg SF/Topeka

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

** Much incorrect information has been told about John Switzler (i.e. Hon James Rogers’ story).  Switzler was only

 

 

 

 

 

 

around for less than a year to build the bridge (spring of 1826 to fall of 1826).  After he built the bridge, he

 

 

 

 

 

 

returned home to Saline Co, Missouri and got remarried.  In 1845 he left Missouri for Oregon.  The original

 

 

 

 

 

 

settlers in 1854 in Eureka/Council City would have never crossed paths with Switzler.  John Switzler had a brother

 

 

 

 

 

 

that did stay around Burlingame area for some time after John had left.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click here for complete list of residents in Council City in 1855